Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Voiced or silent prayer intentions during Mass?

A couple of months ago, a Herald reader wrote in to inquire about the practice of the priest allowing the congregation to vocalize their intentions during the general intercessions. This is common in U.S. churches, particularly at smaller Masses (often at daily Masses). The reader had questions about this practice, saying:

"Quite often, I notice that people ask for something that has already been mentioned during the intentions read by the commentator. One recurring example is '"Please pray for my grandmother, who died last week,' when we have already prayed for the deceased."

"In addition, I can tell that someone is saying something on the opposite side of the church, but there's absolutely no way I can understand what he or she is saying. It becomes very frustrating when one inaudible ntention after another is offered.

"Finally, I have noticed the awkwardness when the commentator tries to bring the intentions to a close, only to interrupt someone while he or she is trying to voice his or her intention."

How would you respond to this reader?