What are your preparations?

Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent, is here on Feb. 21. Lenten preparations have changed for me over the years, as sacrifice means something differently to me now than it did five, 10 and 20 years ago. When I was a child, I would give up soda or pizza. But as I became an adult, I thought that rang a little hollow and too easy. So, now I try to dedicate myself more to prayer and spiritual self-improvement during Lent, like setting aside time to pray the Rosary each day or bringing others into prayer with me. I feel it brings me closer to the Lord, strengthens my family and reminds me of the sacrifices Jesus made for us.
I know I should be doing these things during the year anyway, so am I copping out by not giving up M&Ms? I'm interested in your opinion.
What kind of sacrifices do you make during Lent, and are you always successful?

<< Home