Saturday, June 09, 2007

Paris Hilton, Mel Gibson and the sheriff

In the "who cares but it's still interesting" department, while socialite Paris Hilton was being sent back to jail on Friday, much was being made in the media about the actions of the sheriff, who said that jail overcrowding and Paris' unspecified medical condition warranted her serving out the remainder of her sentence in the luxury of her Hollywood Hills mansion. The judge in her case was not aware that the sheriff overrode his decision and, understandably upset, called everyone back to court, where Hilton was ordered back to jail.

One article pointed out that this is the same sheriff who handled Mel Gibson's DUI arrest a few months ago. Gibson allegedly went on an anti-semetic rant while being arrested, but this same sheriff withheld audio and videotapes of the arrest causing media outlets to cry foul. I admit that I was shocked when I read this and thought Mel was spared far greater punishment from the public because of that decision.

I'm curious, since Mel has a strong Catholic contingent supporting him, does that last bit of information change in any way your thoughts on the Hilton case... or the Gibson case? "Celebrity justice" is wrong no matter who is involved, and these two cases involving the same sheriff bring an interesting twist on events, I think. Are you more likely to cut Gibson more slack because he's Catholic and trying to live a Catholic life while demanding that Hilton be taught her lesson in jail?

Gibson is handling his situation in a far more noble manner than Hilton. Gibson apologized profusely for his actions, acknowledged his drinking relapse, accepted whatever punishment was given him and has dutifully gone through rehab. Hilton, on the other hand, has fought her sentence, is said to be consantly crying and shaking and called for her mother yesterday as she was being led away back to jail.

Labels: , , ,