Friday, November 30, 2007

My Catholic experience in the Dominican Republic

The Dominican Republic is like many countries that were colonized by the Spanish, in that most Dominicans identify themselves as Catholic. Each small town features a Catholic church at the center plaza. But unlike other Catholic countries, the Catholicism seems a bit light. Churches are not open all day, and the iconography that is prevalent in many other Latin American countries is not here.

I talked with Father Christopher Murphy, pastor of San Jose Parish in the small western town of Pedro Santana. Father Murphy is one of two priests in the province of Elias Pina who are in the Dominican Republic as a mission of the Diocese of Arlington, Va. Father Murphy lamented the country's "complete lapse of Catholicism." He said some have relegated the Catholic Church to an institution that buries the dead and takes care of widows, but Mass is unimportant.

In his area, the Feast of St. Francis of Assisi has large pagan elements, though the local bishop is trying to bring it back to its true purpose.

In the midst of this are very dedicated Catholics. One of the local newspapers had a large story on churches in Krakow, calling the city the center of Catholicism.

In San Juan de Maguana there is a beautiful cathedral.



I was at the top of this church


It was closed when I arrived, but I asked to go in to see the sanctuary. When the sacristan found out I was a Catholic reporter, he gave me the grand tour that included a trip to the top of the cupola 300 feet above the ground. My tour guides were Eduardo, the sacristan, and Feliz, who works in the cathedral's radio station that broadcasts Mass every day.

They showed me the beautiful artwork around the church. I'll include other photos later, but I'll give you this one of a pathway that parishioners walk while praying the rosary.


Rosary walk


Another side note: that morning I had seen some pretty grim scenes in the Dominican Republic and Haiti. I was thinking to myself that I really needed a spiritual boost. God listens, even when you think he isn't, because shortly after arriving at our hotel I learned about an evening Mass at the cathedral.

The Mass that evening was uplifting, with the entire congregation clapping and singing during songs. I always like going to Mass in another culture, and this was another great experience.