Archbishop rebukes Jesuit university basketball coach for pro-choice comment
Just as millions were marching in downtown Washington D.C. to protest Roe vs. Wade, St. Louis Archbishop Raymond Burke found himself addressing a comment by a popular local college basketball coach about his supporting the right to choose an abortion. Saint Louis coach Rick Majerus, who made his name taking Utah to 10 NCAA tournaments, apparently made the comment at a Democratic rally there.
"I'm concerned that a leader at a Catholic university made these comments. It can lead Catholics astray," Burke said by telephone as he attended March for Life anti-abortion events in Washington. "I just believe that it's of the essence for people to understand as a Catholic you just cannot hold these beliefs."
Since Majerus coaches at a Jesuit university, I'm sure nothing will happen. But it will be interesting to see how Archbishop Burke follows up on this.

<< Home