Friday, May 30, 2008

Youth discerning their vocations in Quebec

At Catholic Press Association convention, you get a chance to meet some interesting people. Case in point was last night, as I ran into a young man who is involved with Famille Marie-Jeunesse, a Catholic community based in the province of Quebec that began in 1982.

Jean-Francois is a 24-year-old who lives at the house in Sherbrooke, QC, one of about two dozen youth between the ages of 15 and 30 who commit themselves to a year of intense prayer, Marian devotion and discernment of their vocations, whether it is as a priest, religious, or layperson. Of course, this is a special year for the community since hte International Eucharistic Congress is in Quebec City, site of the oldest Catholic parish in North America. I have been to Notre Dame de Quebec City, and I agreed when Jean-Francois said it is special because Jesus will be making his presence known in the birthplace of Catholicism in the New World.

Jean-Francois told me he feels a strong call to the priesthood, and at the end of our conversation he said that we will be united in prayer. I certainly ask all readers of this blog to prayer for the young men and women at Famille Marie-Jeunesse.

Labels: , , ,