Do Catholics favor abortion?
Catholic News Service has a story today regarding a survey conducted by the Center for Applied Research in the Apostolate (CARA) out of Georgetown University. The study purports to reveal where the "average" Catholic stands on political issues (though I'm leery of such studies because you never know exactly where they draw the data set). Some of the report is positive, like 77 percent saying they are very satisfied with their family life. But I found these parts disturbing:
-- Fifty-eight percent said a woman should have the right to choose an abortion.
-- Forty-one percent said they believe all human life, from conception to natural death, is sacred.
and
-- Sixteen percent believe abortion should be legal in all cases, and another 32 percent say it should be legal in most cases. Just 18 percent said it should be illegal in all cases; 27 percent said it should be illegal in most cases.
Does the average Catholic really not believe what the Catholic Church teaches regarding the dignity of human life? I'm trying to wrap my head around the fact that the majority of respondents are in favor of abortion. Am I out of step for thinking every Catholic should view abortion as murder in every instance?

<< Home