'Energy Independence'
At a press conference yesterday, Mayor Lionel Rivera said that, if elected Congressman this fall, he will work to help Colorado achieve "energy independence."
"There is no realistic quick fix to dramatically lowering our gas prices or breaking our addiction to foreign oil," he said in a statement.He highlights bio-diesel, liquefied coal, ethanol, domestic oil exploration and fuel-efficient engine technology as energy sources deserving of more federal funding. He added that markets already exist here for bio-diesel, liquefied coal and ethanol.
"Colorado has arguably more potential to become energy self-sufficient than any other place because of our affordable energy available locally," he said in the statement. "We can maintain the Colorado lifestyle and be national leaders in energy independence."I have been hearing these sorts of promises around the country for years, it seems. The church teaches that we are to be responsible stewards of the earth and this is obviously one way to do that. But I remain skeptical this will happen... at least any time soon. And, since I'm new to Colorado (I've been here just under a year), how would you describe the "Colorado lifestyle?"

<< Home