Monday, August 07, 2006

Solemn Masses

[EDITOR'S NOTE 8-29-06: Comments have been turned back on but under moderation by the editor. I am allowing all but one of the old comments to stay out of fairness but no new comments on the St. Gabriel situation will be allowed. Comments about the solemn Mass in general are more than welcome. Thank you for your understanding. -Bill]

The solemn Mass at St. Gabriel Parish, which included a Gregorian chant choir and some of the prayers in Latin, appears to be no longer. I hope this is not the case, but I am saddened by this news if it indeed is true. While I do not mean to downplay reverent English-language Masses, there also should be more of a presence in parishes of the solemn Mass on a regular basis (not just on feast days) to keep us in touch with the beautiful tradition of Latin and Gregorian chant in the church. This is especially important for the youth and young adults who grew up after Vatican II (which includes me). Don't get me wrong... I am fine with English-language Masses -- I am also a fan of Life Teen Masses IF they're done right ... I've been to many misguided youth Masses but I believe you can have Mass with reverent praise-and-worship music. But I have grown to greatly appreciate the solemn Mass with its poetry and beauty.

[Editor's Note 2: The following is a statement issued from St. Gabriel the Archangel addressing the future of the Solemn Mass there.]


"The Solemn Mass has not been discontinued or terminated at St. Gabriel as has recently been stated on this site. Recent blogs have been incorrect, nefarious and a misrepresentation of the facts. The parish plans to continue offering a solemn Mass with beautiful sacred music, processional candles, bells and incense starting with Holy Days of Obligation and other special liturgical occasions. A 7 p.m. solemn Mass was celebrated at St. Gabriel on the Assumption of the Virgin Mary on Aug. 15.

"The parish is seeking individuals or a group who would be interested in cooperating with the pastor as well as engaging in collaborative ministry to further the tradition of sacred music at the parish and throughout our diocese. Please contact the parish office (719-528-8407) directly if you are interested in helping as a constructive and positive addition to this worthwhile endeavor!"