Wednesday, October 18, 2006

"We l-o-o-o-v-e the Catholics"

Heidi Ewing, co-director of "Jesus Camp," a film about children and evangelical Christianity, gave an interesting interview recently to Catholic News Service about her filming experience. When asked if she encountered any anti-Catholic sentiments, she described a moment while filming at New Life Church here in the Springs.

"I was in the service, and we had three cameras rolling, and there were 3,000 people in the church, and my cameraman was on the stage shooting him, and Pastor Ted (Haggard) started teasing the cameraman: 'Where are you from? England? Do you go to church?'" (Ewing) recounted.

When the cameraman told Rev. Haggard that he goes to church when he's in England, the minister said, "So you're in the Church of England." The cameraman replied, "No, I'm Catholic," according to Ewing. "Pastor Ted turned to the congregation -- and I have this on tape -- in a very mocking tone, he said, 'Oh, we l-o-o-o-ve the Catholics, don't we?' and people started laughing."

"Jesus Camp" came through here very quickly, and I did not get a chance to see it. Plus, the footage Ewing described was not used in the final cut. I am curious as to if you or anyone you know has seen "Jesus Camp." Rev. Haggard has slammed the movie and his portrayal in it. This prompted Ewing and her co-director, Rachel Grady, to respond.