Friday, March 02, 2007

Lenten Friday soup recipe

Are you looking for a soup recipe for Fridays in Lent? I think I make pretty good black bean soup, and it's not too difficult to assemble.

Here are the ingredients I use:
2 cans of black beans
18 oz of beer (it's ok to use cheap beer)
cilantro (about 1 TBSP, eye measured; I prefer freshly cut)
1/2 onion, diced (you can use more)
4-5 cloves of garlic (I like garlic, so I use more. You can use less)
a dash of hot sauce (Louisiana, Crystal, Patio or Cholula work best for me)
1-2 TBSP green chiles, diced
1/2-1 jalapeno, diced (use more or less depending on your tolerance for spice)

Take one can of black beans and mash into a paste using a potato masher (or food processor, if you prefer.) This works best if you add it to a crock pot, but a pot holding at least a gallon works if you're going to boil it.

Add all the ingredients to the paste except the beer and second can of beans. Then add one can of beer, then the second can of beans, then the rest of the beer you wish.

Crockpot method:
Put it on low and let it stew for a good 6-8 hours. Let it sit on warm 20-30 minutes before serving.

Pot method:
Bring to a boil on high heat. Watch to make sure it doesn't boil over.
Reduce to medium and let it simmer 15 minutes. Take it off the heat and let it sit a few minutes before serving.

If you have time, you can prepare it in advance and let it sit in your refrigerator so the flavors mix. You can also try heating it halfway, letting it cool, then heating it the rest of the way the day you want to eat it.

You can serve it plain, with sour cream, or with hot sauce to taste. I like to place warm tortillas on the side.

Enjoy!