Wednesday, December 05, 2007

More on Christopher West's talk

A few things stayed with me after Christopher West's theology of the body talk last night:

1. The turnout was amazing. It shows that there is a real desire out there for the truth. I hope this talk inspires some folks to delve more into the theology of the body and start study groups at their parish, college campus or just among friends. John Paul II's dense teaching

2. I've heard Christopher speak several times and I've heard and watched many theology of the body CDs, tapes and DVDs. Yet the message never gets old, even when I hear the same things repeated. Last night's talk moved me in ways similar to when I first him speak about 6-7 years ago. It's like taking a super-powered vitamin.

3. The most moving moment of the night for me was the affirmation of our wonderful clergy and religious who take vows of celibacy to serve the Church. I have an older sister who is a nun, and it is so beautiful to hear her talk about her spousal relationship with Christ. I wonder how many people's eyes were opened last night to the courageous, beautiful witnesses of our priests and nuns. If only the world understood the priesthood and religious life (and celibacy) in this way... we have some evangelizing to do! And, although our deacons were not called up to the front (the focus was on the celibate vocation at that point), they are also to be thanked for their witness to Catholic marriage. Their calling is exceptional as well, and in his vows, the deacon -- with his wife, for they are truly a team -- are saying "yes" to being a witness of true, Catholic, spousal love in the world. Thank you.

It would be great for eveyrone to share one or two items from last night's talk that really moved you. Maybe it was something you had never heard before and a light bulb was turned on. Maybe it was something you may have known but was presented in a new way. Or maybe the talk is inspiring you to take a particular action.

Labels: , ,