Rock reunion tours
Lately a major "classic" rock band reunion seems to be rolling through here every few months. Last year, fans could rediscover The Police, Led Zeppelin and Genesis around different parts of the globe (The Police did roll through Denver). This Friday, 70s/80s party rockers Van Halen come back with their original lead singer (but without their original bassist) for the first time in more than two decades. Why am I posting this on the blog? Only because the whole reunion thing is fascinating me. In reading interviews, there is a common thread about how, even though band members may still annoy each other, they've matured to the point where they can coexist... at least on stage for two hours and for enough rehearsals that they can cash in the millions of dollars that come with these tours.
I'm not against these reunions unless the music becomes so slowed down or altered that it just ruins the fun of the old days. Anyhow, I laughed hard when I read one critic's analysis of the Van Halen reunion. I think this can be applied to quite a few bands out there in this youth-obsessed culture we live in:
"They are guys in their 50s reviving the heyday of guys in their 20s who were thinking like teenagers."
Hmm... what other parts of our culture fit this description?

<< Home