Wednesday, June 07, 2006

'Rebuilding Catholic Culture'

Say hello to Aquinas and More bookstore. They are a fine supporter of your Colorado Catholic Herald newspaper and the only Catholic bookstore I know of that has their own blog.

Blogmeister Ian Rutherford's latest post laments the lack of basic knowledge about the faith by many Catholics and offers some suggestions. He minces no words in what he thinks needs to be done. Among his suggestions:

... It needs to be acknowledged and accepted that the Church's purpose on Earth is to get people to Heaven. Its purpose isn't to make people feel good or give them a social club. Admitting this leads to the necessary conclusion that the Church has to follow Christ's example and teach people the Truth even if this means that some will leave. Third, I believe that we need a one-year series of expositions on the Faith drafted by orthodox Catholics that can be given in all parishes after the homily. These talks need to be brief - about 20 minutes, direct and engaging. They need to be given with the knowledge that people are going to get mad and that some will probably leave the Church.


Now I know seeing the word "orthodox" above will set off flags for some readers, but bear with me. I'm interested in a larger question... Do you see a need to improve catechesis in our diocese? If so, what areas? What areas are we doing well in? Do you agree with Ian's suggested approach? Does Catholic culture need to be rebuilt?