The spirituality of U2
We recently ran a main story on the Web site about a priest in Minneapolis who preached on the spiritual messages in U2's lyrics. I personally am a big U2 fan, although mostly of the early, punkier stuff ("Gloria," anyone?). I jumped off the wagon for most of the 90s and came back aboard around 2002-ish. Still, I have always admired Bono for the honesty he shows in his lyrics about his faith journey. I do not know much about the spirituality of the rest of the band, other than what I read in the slanted (against "organized religion"), but still interesting, biography "Walk On."
Anyway... I am a big fan of many of Bono's efforts to user his rock star influence to make the world a more peaceful, just place. But rock star influence alone is never enough... Bono is also a very bright man who does his homework on issues. He is a Christian without denomination, but I have always appreciated his respect for the Catholic Church. I don't know if he still does, but at least until recently he wore the rosary Pope John Paul II gave him. Two years ago at the Catholic Press Association convention in Washington D.C., he was staying at the same hotel and was kind enough to videotape a short note of encouragement for us and our mission. And I know he has been introduced to JPII's "Theology of the Body," although I don't know where that has gone.
Well... the CNS story we ran on Bono got the CCH Online site linked to Spirit Daily, which I believe is how we received this "contact us" comment:
NO WAY is U2 a Christian band. Like Satan, Bono is a poser and a fraud. I would urge you to check out blessedhopechapel.org and watch their video clip on the band U2 - better yet, watch the entire ten hour DVD titlted "they Sold Their souls for Rock n Roll" and see why ALL rock music is, by its very nature, luciferian. I was a former big U2 fan until I woke up to the disturbing truth about this music and that if many other bands. My husband used to work in the music industry in Los Angeles and could tell you even more eye opening stories about the REAL people and attitudes behind rock n roll. I will pray that Father Rutten also wakes up to the truth and go back to listening to Gregorian chants, which truly edify the soul. He really needs to do his homework on U2 and the history of rock in general and then stop misleading his young parishoners. The roots of rock are demonic, "Christian" lyrics or no.
And I need to add, this music has no place in the Catholic church!
I went to the Blessed Hope Chapel site and could not find the video. I'm sure there are some stories of the band's temptations with rock n' roll over the years that we'd rather not know. But how can you rip Bono for everything he's trying to do to fight poverty and for the positive spiritual messages in many of their songs? He's not perfect for sure, but he's trying to live a good, Christian life.
U2's pre-Unforgettable Fire releases are still as fresh today as they were two decades ago. Nobody has come close since of combining such an original sound with unapologetic, passionate Christian lyrics. And they did it without being lumped into a "Christian" scene, which gave them a wider audience. To be honest, I think the current contemporary Christian music scene -- while the messages may be positive -- is quite generic in nature. Not to mention there seems to be little respect for Catholicism in that scene. If you have any suggestions to listen to, I'm open because I want to support that scene but have a hard time with it.
Sorry, but I'm keeping my U2 CDs.
[Note: Current artists I do dig with solid Christian/Catholic vibes and sweet sounds are The Innocence Mission (members are Catholic) and some recent releases from Sufjan Stevens. For The IM, I recommend "Umbrella" or "Glow" for their more rocking stuff and "Befriended" and "Birds In My Neighborhood" to experience their mellower side after their drummer left. As for Sufjan (pronounced Soof-yan), he is known more for his big, orchestral rock sound these days, but his quiet, somewhat offbeat "Seven Swans" is a beautiful record.]


<< Home