When does a movie go too far to make its point?
Barbara Nicolosi, founder and chairman of the board for Act One, Inc., an outstanding Catholic/Christian screenwriting program, gives an awesome answer to those who feel that films and television shows have to keep pushing the envelope of sex, violence, drugs, etc... in order to make what may ultimately be a good moral point.
They have something good to say, but they violate your innocence and defile you so much on the way that it just isn’t worth it. It is like if you told me you have a headache, and I said, “Oh, well I know where there is an aspirin for you! You just have to walk through a putrid sewer for a few miles to get it.” So, on the way to curing your headache, you pick up diptheria and typhoid. Peachy. Thanks for that.
I consider myself a pretty open moviewatcher. I'm not scandalized easily by many films (I wasn't offended by the violence in "Apocalypto"), but there are some films I just can't bring myself to see. Nicolosi notes "Little Miss Sunshine" and "Little Children" among her examples of recent films.
This is always a hot topic and a frequent source of tension in couples, dating or married... "Will he/she be offended?"

<< Home