Monday, February 05, 2007

A couple of quick notes on my graceful arrival and subsequent smooth transition: Not five minutes after arriving at the Christian Foundation for Children and Aging compound, I stepped into a mess of fire ants. The CFCA staff was helpful and empathetic, but I felt like a dolt. One man offered some wisdom: "That is your welcoming." Today I tried to scramble to get my computer up and running with an Internet connection. You cannot believe the patience and grace they displayed while I thought I was dead in the water. Needless to say, I'm here with a connection.

That is indicative of the Guatemalan people I have encountered. They are very friendly and willing to give you the benefit of the doubt, so long as you make an attempt on your part. My Spanish is rusty, but I'm getting by.

Here is a photo of Lago de Atitlan, a very picturesque scene.




Now here is Cerro de Oro, where we visited sponsored families:



That kind of illustrates the dichotomy of Guatemala. But there is hope for something better in the faces of los jovenes (the young people).



Organizations like CFCA are trying to help with reform. Governmental reform is a stretch, so charities like CFCA are trying to appeal to the landowners for justice, and in the meanwhile are educating and sometimes later employing people like the girl in the photo.