Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Catholic teachings and investing

One of the toughest questions to answer is... is it possible to successfully invest on 100 percent Catholic principles? To date, I have not found a mutual fund that does that completely. There are some Catholic principle-based funds which have a policy that allows for the temporary investing in suspect companies with the hopes of changing the culture from the inside. If it doesn't work out after, say, two years, then they get out. I had a 403b with one of these funds for a few years and, to be honest, while I felt better about investing this way than going with a proven fund that could have its hands in companies that deal with pornography, embryonic stem-cell research, unjust wages and working conditions, contraception, etc... the fund was quite average, I thought. I am now struggling with what to do with that fund since I have moved here. I can roll it over but am not sure what direction to go in.

The USCCB has a document from 2003 that discusses socially responsible investing. This is what funds like Aquinas Funds use as their guide.

We have a question on the CCH Online poll that I think is worth discussing in more detail here: How much do Catholic values and principles influence how you invest?