Friday, November 17, 2006

Thumbing their noses at religion

An article in the Washington Post describes how a group of Georgetown University students "created" a religion for the apparent purpose of having parties at their house.

I understand youthful indiscretions. I was an undergrad once, and I had my share. But what is lost in this is how students at an ostensibly Catholic university can commit heresy, and the only university response is this group is none of its business. It appears In Loco Parentis only applies in legal situations but not in moral issues at this "Catholic" institution. But I guess we shouldn't expect much from the same university that honored a Jesuit priest who supports abortion.

Is it time for the Vatican to clean house and strip the "Catholic" designation for any institution of higher learning that is not faithful to the magisterium of the Roman Catholic Church? I can think of at least a half dozen colleges and universities that need to be striken off the list.