Sunday, October 29, 2006

And in Denver...

A nun in Denver goes after Archbishop Chaput in The Denver Post, criticizing his preaching on ballot issues.

"We're supposed to vote as our conscience tells us, not as the archbishop's conscience tells him," said (Sister Mary Ann) Cunningham, a member of the Sisters of Loretto. "I have great respect for the archbishop, but I think that's kind of treating us like children."


What is among Sister Cunningham's gripes?

Cunningham said many Catholics disagree with the church's opposition to legalized abortion for "compassionate, faithful reasons."


How anyone, particularly a member of a Catholic religious order or a priest, can advocate abortion of any kind is just unbelievable to me. Am I alone in seeing something so horribly wrong in that statement?

I'm not sure if and what kind of action Archbishop Chaput may make in response to this, but in the meantime we give kudos to Denver Archdiocese Communications Director Jeanette DeMelo and her response:
"Archbishop Charles Chaput is not teaching his personal opinion," she said. "This is the church's teaching, and it is the responsibility of a Catholic to vote their conscience, but their rightly formed conscience, their educated conscience."