Thursday, November 02, 2006

Haggard allegations and the election

By now, most of us are aware of the stunning allegations made today against New Life pastor Rev. Ted Haggard by a male prostitute who said they had regular sexual liaisons over a three-year period. The accuser, Mike Jones, said that he chose this time to speak about it because Election Day is just five days away and he felt Haggard was hypocritical to speak out regularly against same-sex marriage yet (allegedly) was having sex with him.

The Catholic Church in Colorado has been quite vocal and expended much effort to promote support of Amendment 43, which defines marriage as the union between one man and one woman, and opposition of Referendum I, which seeks to legalize same-sex civil unions. While polls show that support for Amendment 43 is solid, opposition of Referendum I is shaky and there is a real possibility of both passing.

What effect do you think the Haggard allegations will have on the elections next week? Will this help or hurt the cause to support Amendment 43 and oppose Referendum I?