Monday, June 25, 2007

Defenders of the pew

I feel like posting something a bit lighthearted today. So, take what I write with a grain of salt.

This is something I thought about when entering church this weekend and finding a place to seat my family: It seems that there is a large contingent that sits on the end of the pew and, instead of moving to the center when more people arrive, remains closely attached to that station. I'm not talking about people with ailments who sit there out of necessity; I'm talking about those who nonchallantly slide their knees to the side to give you that 1/4 inch of space.

Personally, I don't mind moving to the center of the pew. But my father was one of those "defenders of the pew," as I like to call them. There were 10 in my family, so I think my parents bookended us on the pews so they had easy access to rap the back of our heads and to make sure we didn't bolt Mass before the processional hymn had ended.

I'm interested in this phenomenon, though. Are there any "defenders of the pew" out there who wish to stand up and be counted? What are your reasons? Does anyone else notice this?

Labels: