Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Latin Mass motu proprio update

A new rumor is swirling in the Catholic blogosphere that the motu proprio that would loosen the restrictions on the celebration of the Tridentine Mass will finally be released July 7. Now this is the gazillionth rumored release date of the document, so while this seems to be the best bet yet, I'll believe it when I see it.

And even so, the media and the blogosphere are going crazy over this, and I'm not sure why. I don't see this document as revolutionary, especially considering any priest could already celebrate the Mass with the bishop's consent. I have heard of (and lived in) some dioceses where it is hard to get approval, so I guess this will help those priests. But I would be shocked (and pleasantly so, btw) if more parishes in our diocese started offering, if not the Tridentine Mass, at least the Novus Ordo Mass. I don't see this creating a "Latin revolution" with a resurgence of sacred music at Mass, etc..., but maybe I'll be wrong.

Labels: , ,