WYD GUEST BLOGGER: Seminarian Joe Dygert
Bishop Sheridan gives a World Youth Day catechetical reflection on the Holy Spirit at Sydney Exhibition Center July 18. (Herald photo by Bill Howard)
Reflections on Bishop Sheridan’s talk on July 18
It is a great blessing to have a bishop who was for many years a teacher at a seminary. He explained things well and clearly in his talk. Three things in particular struck me: the reality of the Holy Spirit as a Person, the constancy of the presence of the gifts of the Holy Spirit at our Confirmation, and the joy of living our mission from the Holy Spirit.
The Holy Spirit is a Person. He did not become incarnate like the Son of God, and He is not named by a name like “Father” which immediately suggests a person to us. In the Scriptures, we see Him manifest Himself in the form of a dove, of tongues of flame, and with the power of a rushing wind. Nevertheless, He is none of these things. His action in us we experience like these natural things, with peace and energy and power, but He is distinct from His actions. He is a Person, with reason and will, and as a Person we can honor, obey, and passionately love Him.
When we receive Confirmation, it is not something that is over and done with. We are marked for life. We have the imprint of the Holy Spirit on our souls, and we have His gifts. We need to use these. It is easy to leave these gifts – wisdom, understanding, knowledge, counsel, fortitude, piety, and fear of the Lord – unopened, as it were, in such a way that they do us, the Church, and the world no good. The gifts of God are always given for a reason. We need to pray that God make this gifts active in us, and open ourselves to live according to them.
Finally, I was reminded by Bishop Sheridan’s talk that "the mission that is animated by the Holy Spirit is our joy.” I have found this to be very true in my life. I never wanted to be a seminarian, but the Holy Spirit never gave me peace trying to do something else, and finally I let go enough to enter the seminary. I have never experienced joy like I have in these last four years. I had run from the path that God had willed for me, and now I see that I was running from joy. Whatever He calls us to do, it is in living this vocation that our hearts find the hidden spring of His grace and finally drink the water of life. Don’t be afraid!
I write from the Convention Center in Sydney, in the midst of World Youth Day. It is a great blessing to be here. Know of my prayers for all those back in the diocese of Colorado Springs, and that as much as I love it here, I look forward to returning. God bless you.
Charles Joseph Dygert
Sydney, 2008
The Holy Spirit is a Person. He did not become incarnate like the Son of God, and He is not named by a name like “Father” which immediately suggests a person to us. In the Scriptures, we see Him manifest Himself in the form of a dove, of tongues of flame, and with the power of a rushing wind. Nevertheless, He is none of these things. His action in us we experience like these natural things, with peace and energy and power, but He is distinct from His actions. He is a Person, with reason and will, and as a Person we can honor, obey, and passionately love Him.
When we receive Confirmation, it is not something that is over and done with. We are marked for life. We have the imprint of the Holy Spirit on our souls, and we have His gifts. We need to use these. It is easy to leave these gifts – wisdom, understanding, knowledge, counsel, fortitude, piety, and fear of the Lord – unopened, as it were, in such a way that they do us, the Church, and the world no good. The gifts of God are always given for a reason. We need to pray that God make this gifts active in us, and open ourselves to live according to them.
Finally, I was reminded by Bishop Sheridan’s talk that "the mission that is animated by the Holy Spirit is our joy.” I have found this to be very true in my life. I never wanted to be a seminarian, but the Holy Spirit never gave me peace trying to do something else, and finally I let go enough to enter the seminary. I have never experienced joy like I have in these last four years. I had run from the path that God had willed for me, and now I see that I was running from joy. Whatever He calls us to do, it is in living this vocation that our hearts find the hidden spring of His grace and finally drink the water of life. Don’t be afraid!
I write from the Convention Center in Sydney, in the midst of World Youth Day. It is a great blessing to be here. Know of my prayers for all those back in the diocese of Colorado Springs, and that as much as I love it here, I look forward to returning. God bless you.
Charles Joseph Dygert
Sydney, 2008
Labels: World Youth Day

<< Home