Sunday, July 08, 2007

Latin Mass motu proprio finally arrives . . . and?

Well, it is finally here. What are your thoughts on it? Do you see a revitalization of Catholic Church tradition in form of more Latin Masses and traditional sacred music? Do you see this coexisting harmoniously with our current Mass or do you see this causing division in parishes? Do you see the motu proprio as furthering the Second Vatican Council or a rejection of it?

I'll post some of my thoughts once a couple of folks get this thread going. We have a little over two months before the motu proprio takes effect, so it will be interesting to see what happens at parishes during this time.

UPDATE 7-9-07: I thought this story was interesting about a priest in Rhode Island who is very excited about this. One intriguing quote:

“There are about 20 priests who have asked me to teach it to them, and I think I’m going to get them all together for classes. I find the most interest among our younger priests, which is remarkable because most priests today don’t even get Latin when they go to seminary.”