Thursday, July 20, 2006

Voting on embryonic stem-cell research

So, how did our elected senators vote on the embryonic stem-cell research bill (HR 810) that prompted President George W. Bush's first veto?

Sen. Wayne Allard (R) was one of 37 NAYs. I always thought his stance on the stem-cell issue was vague and noncommittal, but he put it out there on record now. A sampling of his press release: "Senator Allard said he believes that research done using adult stem cells, from sources such as cord blood, have produced results that warrant the future use of taxpayer dollars. 'Scientists have found that adult stem cells from the bone marrow of adult mice can rebuild a damaged heart by creating new heart muscle and blood vessels,' Allard said. 'I'm very supportive of this type of stem cell research.'"

Sen. Ken Salazar (D), a Catholic: one of 63 YEAs. From his press release: "'Like millions of other American families, my family has been touched by the pain of Alzheimer's disease. And like millions of other Americans, I have family members who have suffered and died from diabetes and Parkinson's and heart disease,' Senator Salazar said. 'I agree with the scientific community that embryonic stem cell research could hold the keys to finding the cures for these dreadful diseases.'"

The vote was split along party lines among Coloradans in the House of Representatives (Republicans Yea, Democrats Nay).

I think it should be pretty obvious where the Herald stands on the issue of embryonic stem-cell research. What's interesting is how the side supporting embryonic stem-cell research claims it is for saving lives, neglecting the fact that proponents of destroying embryos are just selective in which lives to save. In fact, I would argue they value the quality of their life over the right to life of another, similar to abortionists.

One of the main problems is there have been no significant documented advantages to embryonic stem-cell research over adult stem-cell research. Also, is it ethical to promise a cure for diseases like diabetes when you have no factual proof for your method?

Father Tad Pacholczyk has another edifying column in the July 21 issue of the Herald that refutes myths regarding frozen embryos and their destruction.