"Passion"-style film to focus on Nativity
When I saw "The Passion of the Christ," I thought an equally great film could be made about the drama surrounding the birth of Christ. Looks like someone else jumped on that idea right away, so I can shelve my screenplay idea. New Line Cinema (of "Lord of the Rings" fame) is going to release a film, "The Nativity Story," on Dec. 1. Judging from the trailer, the filmmakers are quite transparent in their desires to mimic "The Passion." Here's a story with some background on it.
As a Catholic, I am most concerned about how Mary is portrayed, as well as what kind of eucharistic meditation will be given, if any. In "The Passion," the nature of sacrifice and love that we find in the Eucharist powerfully propelled Mel Gibson's storyline. The birth of Christ was the establishment of the Word Made Flesh (Eucharist) on Earth. Mel also used the mysteries of the rosary as a guide for his story. Will that happen with this one?

<< Home